The Assistant City Manager performs a wide variety of highly responsible, complex, and diverse advanced level professional duties involved in providing administrative, analytical, and technical support to the City Manager’s Office and oversees assigned departments.
• Conducts complex and sensitive administrative, operational, and management analyses, studies, and research projects including those involving City-wide issues, programs, policies, and procedures; selects, adapts, and applies appropriate research and statistical techniques; gathers and analyzes data and information from various sources on a variety of specialized topics.
• Prepares and delivers presentations on a wide variety of issues to the City Council, other City boards and commissions, and community groups.
• Participates in the development and implementation of goals, objectives, and priorities for assigned functions and programs; recommends and implements resulting policies and procedures.
• Participates in the development and administration of the department budget; submits budget recommendations; monitors expenditures.
• Participates in the selection of assigned staff; provides or coordinates staff training; prepares and conducts evaluations; works with employees to correct deficiencies; implements discipline procedures.
• Represents the City at inter-departmental, inter-governmental, and community activities and meetings; serves on interview panels in-house.
• Serves as staff to a variety of boards, commissions, and committees; prepares and presents staff reports and other necessary correspondence.
• Attends and facilitates public meetings and workshops, many of which occur in the evening
• Works to achieve economic vitality through community investment in projects and partnerships promoting business attraction, retention, and expansion.
The chosen candidate will possess excellent oral and written communication skills, exercise diplomacy and tact, and be a proven local government professional who works effectively with other departments. The new ACM should have comprehensive knowledge of the principals and practices of local government management with experience in all aspects of development. The person selected will be able to effectively answer and resolve customer and citizen questions confidently and professionally.
The ideal candidate is a creative problem solver who can gather relevant information, critically evaluate solutions, solve vaguely defined practical problems, and explain rules and procedures clearly to the public. The ability
to work independently on multiple projects and issues simultaneously is crucial. The selected individual must possess the skills necessary to develop effective working relationships throughout the organization and the desire to be part of a close-knit team. A sense of humor is also helpful!
The person chosen for this position is expected to carry out the job duties according to the City of Fate values – Transparency, Trust, Teamwork, Innovation/Efficiency, and Commitment as well as the City’s stated purpose - Building a Better Tomorrow, Today.
• Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in Public Administration or a related field
• Seven (7) years of local government experience with at least five (5) years of experience as a Department Head or Assistant City Manager
• Combination of education, training, and experience providing for the required knowledge, skills and abilities may be considered.
• Master’s degree
• Experience in a high growth community